Sunday, November 27, 2011

I Hate Zelda.

Ok, so the title is patently untrue, but that's part of the problem. Since Skyward Sword came out last Sunday, I've had four days where I've had any sort of free time. The majority of said time has been spent on that game. In my four play sessions, I've accumulated 25 hours of play. Do the math. And yes, I know it's sad.

The Devil wears green.

This game is incredibly addictive to me. Given the game-play innovations that have been added to the traditional Zelda formula, this game is too much for me to put down. Add to that the fact that at 25 hours, I'm maybe only half way through the game, and will have more to do after the credits roll, you can probably figure out that my other hobbies have suffered.

Over the past few weeks, I haven't had Magus' minis, since he wanted them back for a bit. So working on my commission hasn't happened. I have managed, however, to get three, that's right, three minis of my own painted.  I've finished up Rahn and Sylys, making my first attempts at Object Source Lighting, or OSL. Overall, I'm not exactly happy with the results, but with practice, I hope to improve. I've also finished my Dawnguard Scyir.
OSL is hard.

A little bit about the Sciyr: though I like my yellow scheme, over the past week or so, I began to feel that I didn't want to take the time to paint it anymore, and was looking for a way change up my scheme a bit without alienating models from the rest of the force.My main goal to that end was that I wanted the three sub-factions to be discernible and unique from one another. Initially, I thought about more or less inverting the scheme, with grey armour and yellow clothes, but after a quick test model, I decided that was a bad idea. So after some color brain-storming, I came up with the following: The yellow stays. It might be a pain, but it looks really good. That means that the trim colours for each sub-faction would change, but the grey for clothing would stay. Rahn and his Mages and anything Houseguard, along with the Myrmidons would retain the granite. All the Dawnguard would receive purple for their capes and trim; the mage hunters would receive a dark blue. 

Purple is the answer.

I'm hopeful that this will solve my partial exhaustion with my colour scheme while still retaining the feel of a unified force. Epic Eiryss is next on the painting docket, but I think I'm going to take her of the chimney thing she drags around everywhere. For reference:

I hate that gargoyle.

I think I'll have to find a way to satisfactorily cut her from the piece and mount her on one the custom bases that should be coming my this week. The thing is, her cloak is modeled to the wall, so I may have to rebuild it with green stuff... and my modelling skills in that medium are... sub-par, to say the least. I may even just cut her cloak shorter. I'll see what solution feels best then. I'll keep you posted on my progress, maybe take some WIPs.

No comments:

Post a Comment